NEW BOOK published by Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff.
American Grand Strategy and Corporate Elite Networks
The Open Door since the End of the Cold War.
Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff organized a Section on 'Empires Elites and War' of the 9th Pan-European Conference on International Relations: The Worlds of Violence, European International Studies Association, 23-26 November, 2015 in Giardini Naxos, Sicily, Italy.
- Inderjeet Parmar co-organized (with Jeremy Adelman of Princeton Univerisity and Priscilla Roberts of the University of Hong Kong) a workshop at Princeton University where an international group of scholars (amongst whom Bastiaan van Apeldoorn) launched a collaborative research programme with the preliminary title 'Architects of the World: Knowledge Networks and World Orders: 1919-2019'. The programme - with a series of planned workshops, funding applications and, eventually, a number of publications, as well as other activities - was themed around the 2019 Centennial of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Royal Institute of International Affairs and aimed at a critical analysis of the role of these and affiliated think tanks and policy planning bodies in national and global elite knowledge networks, from the aftermath of World War I, till the present world order; marked by a new power shift with the rise of Asia.
- Bastiaan van Apeldoorn co-organized with Leonard Seabrooke (CBS) a Workshop on 'Transnational Elites in Hybrid Networks', September 11-12 2014, at the Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark. Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff will present a paper there.\
- This workshop examined various methods for tracing policy and economic elites who operate within and across transnational governance networks across a range of issue areas. The workshop focused on Social Network Analysis and Sequence Analysis as two key methods in the study of elites.
- Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff, and Inderjeet Parmar organized a Roundtable on American Grand Strategy, Think Tanks, and the Asia Pivot at the Annual Convention of the International Studies Association; Chair: Naná De Graaff; Participants: Bastiaan Van Apeldoorn, Stephen Martin Walt, Christopher Layne, Inderjeet S. Parmar, Xiaoyu Pu, Joseph S. Nye Jr, Toronto, March 27, 2014.
- This roundtable aimed to elicit a debate amongst scholars from different research traditions on the so-called Asia pivot in American grand strategy - a key element of Obama’s foreign policy, and discuss among other dimensions the role of the US policy planning elite in preparing the ground for this strategy vis-à-vis a rising China.
- Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff convened two linked panels on the role of elites in global governance at the Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, held in in Toronto, 25-29 March, 2014. These events were part of a broader research agenda aimed at reinvigorating (corporate) elite studies.
- Elites in Global Politics I – Transnational Elite Networks and the Transformation of Global Governance, Chair: Inderjeet Parmar. Discussants: Bastiaan van and Naná de Graaff; Speakers: William Carroll, Eelke Heemskerk, Eleni Tsingou, Pelin Akkaya.
- Elites in Global Politics II – Chinese Elites in a Multipolar World: Strategies, Interests, and Challenges; Chair: Herman Schwartz; Discussant: Wesley Widmaier; Speakers: Tobias ten Brink, Letitia Corina, Matarea Turk, Naná de Graaff, Bastiaan van Apeldoorn.
- Inderjeet Parmar and Mark Ledwidge organised workshop, 'Elites and American Power', 28 February 2014, City University of London, UK.
- Naná de Graaff was an invited speaker on Chinese Elites and American Power and – together with Bastiaan van Apeldoorn - on US Foreign Policy and Corporate Elites at the workshop ‘Elites and American Power', 28 February 2014, City University of London, UK.
- Naná de Graaff was invited for a presentation on her PhD research and corporate elite networks at the Research Institute China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), 7 November, 2013, Beijing, China.
- Naná de Graaff held a presentation ‘Towards a Hybrid Global Energy Order – The Transnationalisation of CNPC’ at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Institute for West-African and Asian Studies, 7 November 2013, Beijing, China.